Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Avery's Quilt...


Avery is our second oldest grandchild. She'll be turning 12 next month. We have a family story that shortly after she was born her mommy and daddy unwrapped her to check to see if she had all her fingers and toes and she took offense. Legend has it she cried constantly for the next six months. In some cases legends aren't based on truth... this one is. One time, when she was about three months old, my at-the-time teenage son and I babysat Avery while her parents went to a movie. She didn't take bottles, and she decided she was starved a half-hour after her parents left. What ensued was enough to make my teenage son swear off children for a good long time. (I didn't blame him.) Finally, in desperation I got a bottle out of the kitchen cupboard and tried to give her a little water. I figured she'd cried for a solid hour and was probably dehydrated, if nothing else. That little kiddo turned beet red and her furor measured a solid 10 on the Richter scale. Mind you, I was an experienced mother, but she scared me.


Fortunately, she's calmed down considerably since those early days and turned into a beautiful young woman. We love her so much. Her favorite colors are coral, gold, and mint.  I found some beautiful fabrics in those colors, so I'm hoping she'll love this quilt...


I love the touch of metallic that many fabrics have in them these days. It makes the fabrics a little more luxurious...


There is a metallic gold thread that winds itself through most of the fabrics in this quilt. There's no real "theme" to this quilt -- you'll find tee-pees, and flowers, and bees, and unicorns, and feathers, and arrows.


I think the theme is often created by the colors in the quilt...


I chose this fabric  that was mint and coral and built the quilt around it...


Here's the back...



I hope she likes it.